Tuesday, April 24, 2012

BLOG #35: Yes, acting training can be therapeutic – but never a replacement for therapy…



Can anyone, at any age, who is primarily focused on the negative action of ‘avoiding criticism’ rather than the positive act of ‘doing something for its own sake’ be able to act? That’s a big question, but I do know that poor, terrified Chantal, whom I’ve mentioned before that there was no way for the characters she was supposed to be working on to breathe, to live. And the heartbreaker was that this intelligent, diligent, tender young person, who was endeavoring to do everything perfectly, knew she was failing. There wasn’t anything I could do because her mother had indoctrinated her with the idea that auditions – and probably everything else in life - were win/lose, pass/fail situations. And it made no difference that I did everything I could to help and encourage a radical change in this point of view; it was lodged in Chantal’s psyche, as if had passed into her through her mother’s milk. 
If there is something really wrong, usually the lessons stop of their own accord because the boy or girl loses interest in the classes. They don’t do their homework or find it interesting to relate our conversations to the scenes and monologues we are working on.  For example, Simon, who was one of the saddest cases I’ve ever run across. He was already experiencing behavioral problems, having been expelled from a couple of middle schools, when his mother died very suddenly of a heart attack. It’s possible that he felt his behavior had lead to her death, although he never said so. He was a freshman in high school and had already been suspended at least once. I never found out what he had done to create so much trouble.  His father was an executive in the fashion industry and often traveled on business to the Far East. Simon was tall, full grown already, good looking, charming and very manipulative. 
I think he was sent to me because an agent had seen him and suggested that he take some classes to see if he had talent. We did absolutely no acting work at all; each of the four or five times I saw him, whenever I would try to interest him in the script, he would interrogate me aggressively about the acting business and then suddenly drop the façade and become a real fourteen-year-old, mourning the fact that he was all alone in the apartment for two weeks.  He disappeared for a while, and then his father called several times trying to set up appointments which never came to fruition. I wanted to talk to the father about his son’s difficulties, but I knew the schools had already made an effort to persuade him, and I could hear in the father’s voice that he would have crossed me off his list if I had tried to say anything. My hope was that I could keep the boy coming for a while and maybe get close enough to suggest therapy directly to him. One late night, a few months after our last appointment, I received an anonymous, incoherent phone call from someone who was high on alcohol or drugs – it sounded like Simon’s voice, but I couldn’t be sure. I felt terrible for the boy but there was nothing I could do…
Simon was an extreme case, but there have been other less unhappy, albeit problematical situations where choices had to be made about how far to go in trying to help a student.  It took me a long time to figure out the line between an acting teacher and a therapist. So many stories involving incest, drugs, alcoholism, anorexia, prostitution, even questionable deaths, from both kids and adults with difficult lives, who were trying to figure themselves out through acting.
There are several factors here that have to be seriously considered. Does the student have a genuine interest in acting? Is their personal agenda so heavy that it precludes acting at this point in their lives?  Should I speak to the parents or, in some cases, the manager/agent?
Next time, I will give further examples of young people who can benefit from acting training, those who can’t – at least not in my class – and/or those who need therapy…

No comments:

Post a Comment