Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Blog #36: Why acting for kids isn’t a substitute for therapy. When acting class can help and when it can’t…



It’s so satisfying when I can talk to parents without fearing they will misinterpret my observations! I don’t have the training of a therapist, and can be clumsy just when I should be clever - especially when I’m annoyed!  But often my interactions with parents have been really good. Bonnie’s mom, for example, was very receptive and the work progressed, not into an acting career but a better understanding of art and lif .  But Bonnie didn’t have really bad problems; her life was fairly serene – although she might disagree with me on that!
Acting teachers hear important confessions and we have to use our judgment when we should or should not pass along information to parents. Is a kid exaggerating or are they really in trouble?  In my experience, young people feel that a private acting class is a place where they can let their hair down and exaggerate if they feel like it – after all we’re working on drama!  Sometimes, although rarely, a student asks me to intervene with their parents on matters that have no direct bearing on acting.  However, the issues have a de facto relationship to acting – since acting requires an understanding of behavior and how we feel about things.
Take the case of Peter, who started working with me when he was fifteen. By the age of sixteen, tension between him and his mother had turned into all-out battles for control in almost every area of his life. His father was around and definitely involved, but the sparks flew on the maternal side. When I met Peter, he had already shot a couple of dramatic scenes in major films and was under contract with a well-known manager. My job, ostensibly, was to get him to the next level, so he could book speaking roles on a regular basis. The boy seemed to have potential; when he read scenes, he grasped the point quickly and put in some effort. He was called back several times for an interesting film role; it entailed playing the part of a famous actor when he was a child. He got the part, but when I watched the finished product, his acting didn’t ‘pop.’  He just wasn’t interested enough to put in the work – tall and rangy, his heart belonged to baseball.
For a while he remained attached to our classes; we worked on scenes and monologues about family conflict, but honestly most of the time he talked about his mother and when it got so bad she locked him out of the house he ended up persuading me to talk to her!  At first, I resisted, but in the end she and I had several good conversations, and I think just the fact that we were able to communicate helped him to relax his demands and do a few more chores around the house, which in turn caused her to give him a little more freedom. During that time, he had also shared stories about another family member who caused a lot of trouble for everyone; it was the sort of thing he couldn’t talk about with most people, and he got it off his chest. Eventually, the lessons petered out, but later, when I was ill, he called me to wish me well.  I believe that the acting lessons helped him to have a sense of humor about the whole thing and work through a bad patch of adolescence – we spent a lot of time on Neil Simon’s Brighton Beach Memoirs.  It helped that his mother was a fundamentally reasonable woman who always had her son’s best interests at heart.   
Twelve year-old Jack faced a very different situation; a kid with a gift for singing, who was enrolled in an outstanding middle school and should have been getting good parts in their lavishly produced musicals.  But Jack had ingrained problems; he was overweight and lacked confidence, and the parts kept going to the more outgoing kids. His dad had studied with me some years before, and thought acting lessons might help his son gain some confidence. Jack was intelligent, already in therapy, and threw himself into some very complex material, including Athol Fugard’s Master Harold and the Boys, even mastering the South African accent. It seemed that he was beginning to understand more about his life, but then marital difficulties erupted between his parents. There were fights about everything, even who was supposed to pick him up after class, and Jack became too upset to benefit from our slow, concentrated work. I invited his father to come to class and do a scene with him, but the boy shut down like a deer in the headlights. I lost track of him and have often wondered what happened. Nice kid. Hopefully, he got a chance to show off his musical talents
My final example is an unusual case; an agent sent me a teenage girl, Anya, who had emigrated five years before with her parents from Ukraine. She came for acting lessons, but most of the time I was coaching her for a variety of film and television scripts. Her work was colorless because she always played the words, never the subtext, and was incapable of embodying her characters. In life, Anya showed feeling, mostly anger - but at least that would have been a start! Knowing that the best way to connect in acting is through awareness of one’s relationship to family, I kept trying to get her to relate her audition material to her own life. She was more resistant than any other young actor I’ve coached. When someone fights getting into their own story that much, it’s always based in fear.
Finally I managed to discover what I had begun to suspect, that on one side, her mother’s I think, she was Jewish. During Anya’s childhood, living in the USSR would have been difficult. Her parents were Russian Orthodox and they had kept her mother’s Jewish blood secret from their daughter when they lived in Ukraine.  Anya remained in the dark for several years after she came here until an aunt had finally told her. When I told Anya that she needed to look into this part of her life, she was enraged. “I’m not Jewish, I just have Jewish blood. And she refused to accept that being in any way connected to ‘Jewishness’ was of any importance to her life or her art.
It seemed to me that she had ‘caught’ the fearful situation that her parents had endured in their former home, in the way that one ‘catches’ a disease. And this fear appeared to seal her off from herself. She resisted me with such anger that I had to back off.  Her acting didn’t improve, the auditions dried up and she left. No question of therapy here; her fear was so strong that it dominated common sense.  Or was Anya actually protecting her parents’ position; keeping her mother’s ‘secret’ secret even from herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment